Monday, September 14, 2009

Everyday Savings...

No great deals to post about today...I thought I would try to post a few of my everyday savings tips in the mean-time.

Breakfast. I hate breakfast. Breakfast means dishes and I had doing dishes, especially first thing in the morning. BUT, it can be an awesome opportunity to save money.

Several mornings per week, the babies ask for cereal. I figured that cereal costs $2 per box and Milk costs $2 per gallon. At this rate, one cereal costs $.22 per serving and the milk $.13. Total Cost: $.35 per person. This of course, is based on 1 serving per person and we all know how many servings growing boys can and will eat.

To save money, I often opt for oatmeal (yes, the instant kind!). Oatmeal costs $.98 for 13 servings ($.08 per) . I use 1.5 cups of milk when I make my oatmeal so add so add $.06 for milk. One serving of oatmeal costs: $.14! I'll add a teaspoon of brown sugar and occasionally a sprinkle of cinnamon. Add another $.02. That's still a savings of 50%!

Can you imagine saving 50% on your grocery bill every month? Yes, at breakfast we're talking pennies, but it's important to think in measures of percentage when saving money. Pennies add up very quickly.

Remember a penny saved is MORE than a penny earned.

Curious as to how? Stay tuned. I'll try to explain tomorrow. It's one of my all-time favorite money tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment