Sunday, November 29, 2009

Getting the most out of insurance...

I knew it would be a struggle to keep up with my blog. I'm sorry it's so boring. The desire of my heart it to one day be able to help others with their finances. It's not something I take lightly.

Recent money-saving adventures:

As the title would indicate, I'm currently trying to get the most out of my insurance. Due to an unexpected bout of appendicitis during the summer, Eric and I met our HUGE ($5,000!) deductible. While thankful that we had insurance and an emergency fund, we were quite disappointed to use up our entire Medical Savings Account.

True to my nature, while drugged and in a painful haze at the emergency room back in June, I remembered to ask the surgeon to fix a small hernia I had while he was in the vicinity of my appendix. He laughingly agreed and put a small stitch in it while he preformed my appendectomy.

Unfortunately, my hernia not only returned but came back larger than it had been. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but it began to bother me more and more. Although it was mostly cosmetic at present, the Dr. told me that it would need to be fixed eventually. Since we knew we wouldn't incur any further costs for the procedure, Eric and I began to plan on another hospitalization. Long story short, I had what I thought would be a simple procedure this past Monday. It is now Sunday and I'm still not feeling all that great. Thank God for Loritab! I had thought it would be a 23 hour (or less) stay in the hospital, but it ended up being about two days. It was much more painful than I thought it would have been and I wondered at my stupidity over the situation. Honestly, one of the things that bothers me the most is my vanity. After having spent years attempting to train my stomach to stay in, it is most decidedly poking out again. I just cannot bear to tighten all the muscles yet. I hope I can re-train it quickly.

I plan to have another round of surgery right after Christmas. This time I know it's a simple procedure and is out-patient. It'll be my second attempt - Google "septoplasty". It's not a nose job - honest. I have found breathing to be necessary to life and a septoplasty would accomplish this for me (I hope).

On a cheerier note, we did a lot of Christmas shopping this weekend. Not because of all the great deals, although that didn't hurt, but mostly on accident. Eric and I had found that Walmart would be selling boy's bicycles for $29 on Black Friday - not a bad deal. Since I was laid up from my surgery, and he'd always wanted to watch people fight over TVs and such, Eric decided to go at 5am when Walmart opened. He left at 4:30, at 4:45 he texted me to let me know his truck had broken down and he was walking to the office. I immediately was glad I had not taken my pain meds when I had kissed him goodbye...they make me a bit spacey. Hunched over b/c of all the "holes in my tummy" - as the babies call them - I woke the babies, dressed everyone and drove to pick up my nearly frozen husband. I handed him the keys, popped some pills and agreed that we should all go to Walmart. It was a madhouse. I was mortified as I had never been to Walmart without having brushed my hair or put on my makeup. I was really glad to know that MOST folks don't brush their hair or put on makeup before Black Friday. At least I was in like company. We got a few good deals, including a miracle bike for Seth - they had sold out but my sister, Ashah, found one abandoned in a buggy! Yeah for sisters! The bike was pretty much the last gift on our list for the babies. We only do three gifts for Christmas, and although we budget $100 apiece for the babies, didn't spend much more than half. Yardsales have come in handy this year!

Hopefully it won't take so long before I post again. I'm working on paring our living expenses, and finding ways to fund our retirement - again. I have a few more yardsale treasures to post but everyone is wanting some lunch, I'd better get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment